Fruit Bats in Tonga

Supposedly Tongatapu has a bat sanctuary on the northwest part of the island.  We had a very, very brief stayover on the island and I wanted to see the bats.  Unfortunately, the one bad/sketchy/unpleasant aspect of visiting Tonga are the taxi drivers.  Although they are nice, they all seem to be running a scam or several and it is very difficult to extract prices and information from them.  As a result, I don't know if we ever made it to the bat sanctuary or if our driver just drove to a tree full of bats and claimed it was the sanctuary - but either way I did see a lot of fruit bats.


This is one of my favorite shots, as it is very hard to get a photo of a bat in flight - they are so fast, and there are so many trees.


I love this bat, hanging on by three toes and looking relaxed about it.


Somehow I caught the eyes at a fun angle in this lucky shot.


Not perfectly in focus - but my only other bat in flight captured.

 

Comments

Popular Posts